Saturday, July 13, 2013

The definition of typhoon is stir-crazy

The never-ending rain in Atlanta this summer has made it to Taiwan....more to come later...

I survived another week of an intense teaching schedule.  I would still say I am enjoying teaching the majority of the time.  The Phonics A class, the little ones who have never been to English school, has been...well...interesting.  I was incredibly nervous going into the class.  In fact, I was more nervous than I was going into my first class three weeks ago.  The children just stare at you so intensely!  There are 16 students in the class which is quite large for English class.  Unfortunately, it means the games have to be fast so everyone gets a turn and the other students don't get bored.  It also means individual students do not get individual help.  A few of these students really really need individual help.  One of the boys, named James (how appropriate!), is younger than the other students.  He could not even hold a pencil to write A, B and C in the second class.  What I am supposed to do about that?!  Anyways, while we were playing "Teacher Says" (like "Simon Says") with a very limited vocabulary of classroom language (such as Look, May I use the bathroom?, Louder, Sit Down, Stand Up, etc), little James was trying to hold my hand.  He is so precious but there's no time for the touchy, feely stuff in the this class!  Overall, I enjoy the class.  It's much more difficult to grasp how to teach than my other classes.  The students get bored soooo fast and the games have to be insanely simple. I have to be ridiculously upbeat.  I feel like I am a cheerleader again leading a pep rally of the ABC's.  I am truly struggling with the saying my phonics correctly.  It's terrible because the students are learning this for the first time from me.  It's hard to say "eh" (for E) over and over again without making mistakes.  In addition, I must teach how to write each letter exactly how the book says.  It's definitely different than the handwriting I have adapted over the past 25 years!  Good thing I don't have to teach cursive, too.  I also have to do everything myself along with the TA.  I normally have a "Little Teacher" for every class who will do everything from take role, to set up games, to clean up games, etc.  It's awesome!  In fact, I don't even have to teach with a Little Teacher!  Just kidding...that is wishful thinking :)  

The rest of my classes went well except that darn junior high school class.  I can't wait for the teacher on vacation to come back and take that class back!!!!!  However, in their defense, teaching past progressive form and imperatives is hard to create a thrilling lesson on for the students...

I also taught two private classes this week to young students.  They have missed a few classes and need to catch up.  These are great.  You don't have to lesson plan for these because you are strictly teaching at an incredibly fast speed.  I am actually being paid for about the same amount of time that I work.  I spend about 10 minutes getting out the book and matching flashcards while thinking of ways to teach the unit, teach for one hour and get paid for 1 hour.  Not too shabby!  In addition, I enjoy working individually with the students.  I struggle with not being able to help the students that need it the most in the classroom individually.  I have always worked with children on a more individual basis in the past.  I like getting to know the children more personally.  I think with time in this environment, learning the individual students more with each class, and advice from other teachers, I can learn how to incorporate this in the classroom.  

So, my Taiwanese manager told me on Wednesday to not to leave school until she gives me celery.  I responded, " I like celery!"  She giggled at me.  It's just like home where everyone gives James and I their extra fruits and veggies, right?  Well, the day was incredibly busy with teaching four classes, TAs talking to me between classes, my manager observing one of my classes, getting paid for June, etc.etc.etc.  As I was rushing out the door at 9:30pm, I realized I had forgotten about the celery.  I asked her about the celery dreaming about what a great addition it would be to our dinner.  She said, I already gave you your salary.  Oops!!!!!  There are a lot of miscommunications that happen at our school like this but luckily everyone just finds them funny.  I work at a great place with awesome people!  

We prepared for the typhoon as we were advised.  James did the grocery shopping.  Our kitchen has never been this full since we arrived in Taiwan!  A typhoon is sort of like the threat of snow in Georgia.  Everyone freaks out and cleans out the grocery store.  

Here is a picture of the busy RT Mart taken by James:



All businesses and schools closed at 6pm on Friday in Hsinchu due to the typhoon.  It was nice to leave the school earlier than normal.  I did not miss teaching my last class and private class that keep me at the school until 9pm on a Friday night.  However, James and I were a bit worried about going stir crazy this weekend...so much for our regular exploration and hiking weekend adventure.  

The typhoon started to rear it's angry head during the night.  You could hear the wind howling through the building and the rain beating against the windows.  Neither of us slept well.  I was amazed that every time I woke up and looked out the window, I would see a few cars go by and at least one person on a scooter.  Are they crazy?!  The typhoon gave me nightmares of seeing all these animals (which I had just taught a lesson on animals on Thursday) drowning in a rough river from the storm.  I also did not know where James was and could not contact him because I did not have a cell phone.  I guess I should get a cell phone soon....

Anyways, the main reason we kept waking up was because our power went out.  It was insanely hot in our apartment.  We woke up in the morning and attempted to open some windows since the typhoon appeared to be calming (I think this was the eye of the typhoon) while we cleaned the apartment.  We had a rude awakening when the typhoon picked up again and water came flowing through the window.  Oops!




Of course we had to get in a workout some way and there was NO way were leaving the building.  We used the seven flights of stairs and some headlamps.  We actually had quite the tough workout.  By the way, the power was out at the Family Mart next door but the place was still opened.  It was funny to see people being dropped off there in taxis!  I guess they were desperate for some food.  After a dark shower and creating a lunch of what would spoil the quickest in the warm fridge, James said a prayer before eating.  It went something like this "Dear God, thank you for all that you have given us.  Please let us not take for granted everything we have.  We especially realize this when something we have is taken away.  Amen."  No joke, about two seconds later the power came on!  James and I laughed for about one minute straight.  The big man is always listening!

We made the best of an afternoon indoors with looking up new games to introduce in our classrooms and lesson planning.  Our place was so nice, cool and well lit with the power back on.  We even have internet again.  Even with the AC on, our windows were still covered in condensation.  Yuck.  We kept dreaming about how nice it would be to spend the afternoon at Big City.  The only problem would be getting there in the typhoon...

Well, the typhoon finally ended Saturday evening.  We enjoyed a quick walk to a vegetarian restaurant for dinner and simply being out of our apartment building!  We saw some damage around our place but nothing too bad.  Another teacher told me on Friday that typhoons are either boring or scary.  I think this was a bit of both!!!!  However, I have to admit is was nice to slow down for a day.  I would not want to have to do it for two days straight though like some of the Georgia ice storms  :)  Plus, we ate the majority of our food that was supposed to last the weekend. When the Rockwells are stuck inside, our favorite thing to do is eat.  We'll see what tomorrow brings...  

Random thought - a few things a woman doesn't need to use during the hot, humid, sticky, sweaty summer in Taiwan: lotion, leave-in conditioner, and eye make-up (or really any make-up for that matter).  She must use a lot more sunscreen and bug spray though!



What is this you ask?  Banana flavored Hello Kitty Taiwanese Beer.  They also had other fruit flavor.  


A very strange bug that was outside of Family Mart after the storm.  Unfortunately the camera focused on the wrong thing :-( 


I want to send a special congratulations to a few special people at home!  Three important couples in our lives had babies all within a week of each other - Mackenzie and Nolan (my cousin and his wife who have the most adorable little 2 year old I talk about all the time), Laura and Clint (a couple from our church small group), and Sara and Aaron (James' childhood friend who lives in Michigan).  I look forward to meeting all the little ones when we come home next!!!!

Also, Happy Birthday to my wonderful Nana!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment