Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Injury prone

Apparently, I am a very injury prone person.  I even stopped riding bicycles because I was annoyed by my never-ending injuries.

First of all, on Monday morning I told James how excited I was to finally be over my sinus infection and finish taking my antibiotics.

Now for the story. Well, a typhoon is currently happening in Taiwan.  As I was walking to school yesterday, it was raining pretty hard. I pondered taking a taxi to work but decided walking would be fine.  I have to walk up and over a bridge with about three flights of stairs to cross over train tracks.  As I walking down the steps, somehow I fell.  The oddest part is I fell forwards.  My umbrella broke my fall when I hit one of the platforms on the stairs.  I felt a pain on my right palm and left leg.  I noticed my umbrella was broken and I had a cut/scrape on my palm.  I turned to look at my leg and freaked out at the blood.  Somehow I stood up and rushed down the steps to seek shelter from the rain beneath the bridge.  I called James and immediately started crying and shaking.  Poor James.  All he hears is me crying and this man speaking in Chinese. I guess he is starting to get used to these phone calls though...

In the mean time, this man tries to talk to me but I told him I don't speak Chinese.  He pointed for me to sit down and called 911.  Thankfully James showed up quickly right before the ambulance arrived.  James gave the sign indicating expensive.  The EMT's said "No Money."  They quickly cleaned me up, put me on a stretcher, and loaded in the ambulance.  They indicated for James to follow them on his scooter.  After they turned on the extra loud sirens,we drove about 30 seconds to the hospital.  I could have walked there!

Immediately upon arrival, they took my Taiwan National Health Insurance Card.  Then, two nurses cleaned my wounds.  They said I needed one stitch in the gash on my shin and gave me the stitch immediately.  Another nurse came in and indicated for James to help her push me to the elevator. James was happy to be of use. I went to another floor, straight into an x-ray room, and had a doctor x-ray my leg.  He looked at me. My hair was wet.  My dress had blood on it. He just said, "Today is not your day." Then, James and the nurse pushed me back downstairs.  The nurse that gave me the stitch said I had no fractures.  He handed us some pain meds and antibiotic cream.  Then, he handed us a piece of paper with the appointment for me to come back to have my stitch removed.  They told me I was dismissed.  I paid $15 USD for the whole deal and was at the ER for about 25 minutes!  That's efficient!

James had called both of our schools while we were at the ER.  My manager came to pick me up and drive me home.  They cancelled my classes for the day.  Tuesday is a light day for all teachers. I start in the late afternoon and only have one class and two private classes.  I bet my manager doesn't think I am so elegant anymore!!!!! They also found a cover teacher for James.

My leg and the top of my foot are bruised but I think the recovery will be fast especially with my sweet husband taking care of me. Amazingly, the typhoon hit today so school is cancelled.  It's probably best for me not to stand for 6.5 hours of teaching today!

The Taiwan National Insurance is probably going to kick me out of the country when they realize how much I cost!  Seriously though, I am glad my guardian angel was there to break my fall and it was not worse.  I am also glad I took the nice umbrella to work.  It really helped break my fall, too.  Too bad it's broken now! Also, James suggested to keep a record in our apartment of how many days Rachel is injury free like they do at the work place :)

Ohh and as for this typhoon, so far it has been pretty lame compared to the last one.  It's raining a lot but the winds are not high.  My fingers are crossed we keep power this time!!!!!!

For those of you who can handle blood and stuff, here's a picture of my leg. As for me I am glad I never entered the medical profession. The stitched section is under the bandage... yuck.



No comments:

Post a Comment