Thursday, January 30, 2014

New Year #2

Just in case you did not keep your new year's resolution in Taiwan the first time, you receive a second chance with Chinese New Year New! I personally made a resolution today to post a quick blog.  We have been busy so far during 2014.  We have started the process of applying for Universities and scholarships in Taiwan for Fall 2014.  I think someone in this department tried to find every way possible to make this a complicated and difficult process, most especially if you already live in Taiwan.  We will not know admission and scholarships results until May so don't expect to hear about that for quite some time.

2014 in Taiwan has been lovely!  The weather has been sunshiney and nice temps.  We have not taken any trips since we knew Chinese New Year was around the corner.  This is the biggest holiday in Taiwan.  We have four days off from teaching!  Also, both of our schools have had very nice Chinese New Year parties for the teachers (just like a company Christmas party in the US.  Kind of...).

The past two days have been quiet in Hsinchu to welcome the new year.  Many of the shops and restaurants are closed.  However, we have enjoyed the first couple of days thus far.  Everyone is always lighting fireworks during the new year celebrations.  It seriously sounds like we live in a war zone!  My friend from Atlanta, Michelle, arrives tonight (and she escapes the horrid ice storm).  That is when the real Chinese New Year vacation will begin for us!

I am going to do a "picture dump" of our adventures over the last few weeks!  Unfortunately, I did not get any pictures of one very special event for me.  My Taiwanese mother taught me how to make hand made dumplings at her home.  They were so delicious that James and I ate them too fast to take any pictures :)


We went back to Nanzhuang to complete the hike in terrain comparable to the Colorado Rockies.  It was incredible!


Bet you can't spot me in the woods with those camouflage clothes on.  


Amazing views from the top.  It was a 2.5 hour climb!



New friends at the top. The man with the dog actually had a special strap for the dog for the scramble sections where you had to climb with your hands and legs.  He strapped the dog around his neck.  I think that dog was a lot more scared than I was on those sections!


A new dog friend on another trail named PB.  


We FINALLY went to the coast in Hsinchu City to see the sunset.  We run along the bike path weekly but we are always busy at sunset time.  It was gorgeous on this clear day. You can even see the mountains from the coast.  



I've got the whole sun in my hand!


So many new dog friends!  We give the stray dogs that befriend us names.  This one hangs out at the coast where we park the scooter to go run.  We named him " wo chee" or "I eat." 

Happy Chinese New Year everyone!  This is the year of the horse.  Sounds good to the horse lover within me.    

We hope everyone is safe and warm after the ice storm in Atlanta!  

No comments:

Post a Comment