Saturday, June 14, 2014

Birthday Bash!

So, I am officially thirty years old.  Does  that make me a real adult now?  Is it ironic that I will rewind and be a college student again at the age of thirty???

Of course, James and I had to celebrate my birthday in style.  Due to the never-ending rainy season, we decided it was best to stay out of the mountains and off the slippery trails.  A nearby amusement park, Window on China, has a half-price special for the month of June ($13 USD/person).  We decided to take advantage of this deal for a birthday celebration! Coincidentally, my brother Greg visited this same amusement park when he traveled to Taiwan 14 years ago.

The park is famous for its collection of miniature model buildings from around the world.  The park included a Mini America, Mini Europe, Mini China, Mini Asia and of course, Mini Taiwan.  The models are 1:25 scale. We also enjoyed some fun and somewhat thrilling rides as well as an African acrobatic show. The crowds were low so we literally walked straight on almost every ride!


The awkwardly weird amusement park mascot.  I don't know what it is supposed to be but I am glad we did not see a person in this costume walking around the park! I might have cried like a three year does at Disney World. 


Jumbo Wave Ride - This is a serious wave!  It's supposedly a 60 feet wave!!!!


Everyone wore ponchos on the ride, including James and I.  We are turning Taiwanese! 


Mini America!  My first time seeing Mount Rushmore was in Taiwan. 


James shed a few tears over this display since he never got to see a shuttle launch :-(




Checking out Obama's house.


James has been working out a lot. 


Why did they put these next to Mini America?  Is this how they think Americans dress? 


The Statue of Liberty


This show was incredible!  We were quite impressed by this acrobatic/gymnastics group.  


The Paris Opera House.  You can see the Leaning Tower of Pisa in the background. 

We were a bit worn out when we walked through Mini Asia, Mini China and Mini Taiwan.  I guess when camera man James gets tired he stops taking photos :) 

On Sunday we celebrated with a dinner party after church.  We went to the same wood-fired pizza place at the Hsinchu coast that we went to on Christmas Day.  We ate outside on the patio this time though. It's too hot by the oven inside! I had six friends come to the get-together.  James and I left the dinner feeling quite grateful and blessed.  We came to Taiwan knowing absolutely no one.  Now, we have some quality friends. We have met some truly great people over the past year! Ohh, and our vegan pizza was delicious! 

Thank you for all of the birthday wishes, cards and emails.  Although I am far away from home, I still feel loved thanks to all of my wonderful family and friends!    



No comments:

Post a Comment