Wednesday, June 4, 2014

One Year Taiwan Anniversary!

On May 23rd, we celebrated our one year in Taiwan Anniversary!  Our learning curve in Taiwan has been quite steep.  I am thankful to have adjusted to this diamond-in-the-rough country.
  

Do we look any different? 

This past weekend was the Dragon Boat Festival in Taiwan.  Since we went to the dragon boat races along the coast of Hsinchu last year, we decided to enjoy the long weekend away from the crowds this year.  We went to an area northeast of Hsinchu in the low mountains (of course in the mountains...) called Daxi.  We enjoyed a weekend of friends and very little rain compared to the last few weeks.  

The first day we did a hike called Wuliaojian.  This hike is rated "Strenuous" in our book.  We knew we were in for a serious day of hiking.  Our friend Joel from Honduras joined us for the adventure.  Please notice that I am wearing gloves.  It's definitely NOT because my hands are cold.  It's because of all the ropes we had to use on the hike.  I feel like a rappelling pro now.  I think I can officially say I have traded in my marathons, triathlons and cycling for extreme hiking now... This stuff is crazy and a true adrenaline rush at times.  


Ridge Line Walk - "Watch your step" has a whole new meaning.  James kept scaring Joel because he wasn't holding onto the rope at all times.  I suppose I am used to it by now and I am too busy minding my own steps.


Rappelling - Do you see why I was wearing gloves?! My tender soft hands can't handle gripping onto ropes for dear life. 


Joel waited for us to climb this rocky outcrop and snapped some really cool (and romantic) photos. 


Wow! Look at those mountains.  



James is such a gentleman.  He goes down before me to break my fall in case of emergency.  




After the thrilling hike, we went to the town of Daxi to meet up with two other friends.  James has made good friends with Rob from New Zealand over the past year.  I refer to him as James' long lost brother.  They have a lot of similarities.  His Taiwanese girlfriend, Sammie, also joined us for the weekend.  I enjoyed getting to know her.  She is very patient with translating menus and I am very appreciative of it! She's a city girl but she was brave enough to go on a hike with us on Sunday.  She's 100% Taiwanese so she has the hiking genes. She rocked it!  


The Beatles walking across Abbey Road or a bridge in Taiwan


We tried to be nice to Sammie but it's nearly impossible to find a hike here that doesn't involve climbing a mountain and ropes. 


This random rock marked the summit of White Rock Mountain. 


Old Street in Daxi - Please look at the non-Taiwanese style architecture



A delicious treat after the hike on the Old Street

We spent the rest of the afternoon and the next day at the Shimen Reservior.  It's a huge reservior (16.5k long and 245 meters deep).  The pictures do not give the reservior justice.  It was "enchanting" as one book describes it.  It was a quiet place and simply gorgeous.  We enjoyed it more than Sun Moon Lake, one of the top Taiwan tourist attractions.  For some reason it sort of reminded me of Stone Mountain in Atlanta.  A lot of families enjoy the parks that line the reservoir. Unfortunately, there isn't a laser show! Also, the entrance fee into the park is much cheaper for the Shimen Reservoir - $1USD/Scooter and $2.67/USD for a car vs. $10USD for Stone Mountain.  


James is acting like the duck!


Monday's Hike - Shimen Mountain.  Sammie decided not to join us for this one :)


James was taking artistic pictures from the boat ride across the reservoir. 


This one is my favorite. Good job James!


Water is so powerful!  Here is some water being released into the after-bay reservoir.  



You can't see it well in the picture, but we saw an eight foot snake (James' estimate) at one of the parks next to the reservoir!!!!!! As soon as it noticed us taking pictures of it, it slithered away as fast as possible in the opposite direction.  It was more scared than we were!

Believe it or not, Sammie managed to talk James into trying some stinky tofu at a night market on Sunday night.  She couldn't get me to try it though. James said it tasted fine but you smell the atrocious scent as you're taking a bite.  Bleh! My natural instincts tell me not to eat things that smell repulsive.  

We have somewhat made our decisions for the future FINALLY!!!!!!  We are waiting to hear back about a scholarship from one of the univeristies in Hsinchu.  However, we were already offered a scholarship from the other university in Hsinchu so the major decision has been determined.  We will be staying in Hsinchu and earning MBA's over the next two years.  This summer a friend offered to let us live in her apartment while she travels home to America for two months.  So, we will live in her apartment while we take intensive Chinese classes at one of the universities.  " Intensive" is an appropriate title for these classes.  We will be in class for three hours every day (weekdays only) for 5 weeks straight!!!! Ahh! That's 75 hours of Chinese. We have to pass a Level 2 Chinese proficiency test before we graduate.  We figured the earlier we learn some Chinese and pass the test, the better for many many reasons.  

We have been led in a crazy and unexpected path over the past year, and we have so many blessings to count for our past and what appears to be our future.  

Happy Dragon Boat Festival Day and Happy last week of being in my twenties to me!!!!



2 comments:

  1. I think there was a baby switch at the hospital and I took home Evel Knievel's baby by mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud to call you my grandchild!! However, you definitely take after your dad and Papa when it comes to hiking up and down mountains!

    ReplyDelete